Your Home Inspector Found Mold…Now What?

home inspector

While the housing market has cooled down a bit, many people are still buying and selling homes. An important part of that process for both parties is the home inspection, which can uncover mold issues that you didn’t realize exist. 

Why should you care? 

Breathing mold can cause respiratory issues, especially for those with compromised immune systems, the elderly, infants and those with existing breathing problems, like asthma. And while mold exists nearly everywhere, it can spread quickly and become a real problem. A lot has been written about the dangers of black mold, which tends to grow in dark, moist areas of your home, such as basements, kitchens and bathrooms. But there are scores of different types of molds, which can be just as dangerous and less visible in your home. 

How is mold detected?

In addition to the aforementioned home inspection, homeowners often find mold on their own by seeing visible signs of its growth. Mold can show up as black or green spots on walls or ceilings, particularly in areas with high degrees of moisture. It is often detected by smell, such as an unexplained musty odor. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to have a professional inspect your home to determine the severity of the problem and start remediation. 

How do I respond if an inspector finds mold?

First, don’t panic. Ask the inspector to identify the location and the extent to which mold has spread in your home. Next, call a reputable remediation company, like us, so they can do a deeper inspection and start the process of removal. Depending on how far the mold has spread, they may need to replace insulation or drywall to fully remove the threat and prevent it from coming back. If the mold issue occurred due to a leaky window, poor grading/drainage, or deteriorating pipes, that problem will have to be fixed along with the mold removal, otherwise the effort to remove it will have been in vain. In some cases, you may need to increase ventilation in the areas impacted or install a dehumidifier to decrease moisture in the impacted part of your home. 

Finding mold growing in your home can be overwhelming. At Apex Disaster Management, we understand and can quickly take the necessary steps to remove it and do what is needed to ensure it doesn’t grow again. Call us if you have questions or want further information. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top